NP Policy Essentials
Build your policy knowledge and skill
First things first: effective advocacy begins with an understanding of the core issues and positions influencing NP practice. Become familiar with AANP's and our profession's position on education, regulation, policy, and patient care.
AANP and the NP Roundtable Joint Statements
Increasing our volume, speaking with one united voice! Check out joint positions statements from AANP and our national NP partners. Members of the NP Roundtable include the Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association, National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health, and the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties.
- Nurse Practitioner Perspective on Education and Post-Graduate Training – The NP Roundtable's discussion paper on NP education and post-graduate training, May 6, 2014
- Nurse Practitioners and the Future of Primary Care – The NP Roundtable's discussion paper and talking points response to the AAFP, December 2012.
- Nurse Practitioners and the Future of Primary Care Talking Points - Talking points document for state NP groups to use with their letterhead and logo, December 2012.
- Nurse Practitioner Perspective on Healthcare Payment - The NP Roundtable's recommendations on reimbursement policies, NP Roundtable, November 2010
- Nurse Practitioner Perspective for Health Care Reform - The NP Roundtable's recommendations to ensure maximum value with health reform changes, NP Roundtable, June 2010
- Nurse Practitioner Perspective on Requiring Team Based Care for Individual Licensure – Discussion on why licensure-linked team based care is not an effective structure to improve patient care, NP Roundtable, March 2012
- APRN Consensus Model - Endorsed by over 45 leading nursing groups, this model lays out the unified positions for the regulatory framework for licensure, accreditation, certification, and education of APRNs, NCSBN, July 2008
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) Model Nurse Practice Act language - Model statutes and rule language for regulating NP practice. AANP served on the task force of the consensus model and endorses this regulatory language as the model for NP regulation in all states and U.S. Territories, NCSBN, (n.d.)
- Changes in Healthcare Professions' Scope of Practice: Legislative Considerations - Collaborative effort of six health care professions offering recommendations for legislatures on the regulation of health disciplines, NCSBN, October 2009
Policy Analysis & Health Care Community Statements
Learn what the broader health care community is saying about NPs and the future of health care.
- What is driving US Healthcare Spending?: America's unsustainable healthcare cost spending - Bipartisan Policy Center, September 2012
- Health Policy Brief: Nurse practitioners and primary care - Policy Brief, Health Affairs, October 2012
- The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health - Consensus Report, Institute of Medicine (IOM), October 2010
- Who will provide primary care and how will they be trained? - Conference proceedings, The Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation, April 2010
State White Papers
Position Statements & Papers
Use the links below to view and download individual copies of AANP position statements and papers.
- 2009-10 NP Sample Survey: Overview - An overview of the NP community, who we are, where we practice and what we do
- AANP Brochure: "The Nurse Practitioner: Your Partner in Health" - Professional advocacy brochure describing the NP role
- AANP Nurse Practitioner Fact Sheet - A snapshot of NP practice in the U.S.
- Clinical Outcomes: The Yardstick of Educational Effectiveness - Find out why head-to-head comparison of educational models is not the appropriate measure of clinical success or patient safety, and how NPs measure up.
- - Features guidelines, tips and tools for successful negotiations.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Discussion Paper - Learn about the AANP's position on the shift in the academic preparation of nurses in advanced practice.
- Nurse Practitioner Cost-Effectiveness - An introduction to the body of evidence supporting NPs as cost-effective providers of high-quality care.
- Nurse Practitioner Curriculum - Learn why a formal graduate education is important to a nurse practitioner practice.
- Nurse Practitioners in Primary Care - A look at why nurse practitioners are vital to primary care, and the role they play in making high-quality, patient-centered health care available to the broadest possible range of consumers.
- Nurse Practitioner Prescriptive Privilege - Find out why the AANP advocates that nurse practitioners have unlimited prescriptive authority in their scope of practice.
- Quality of Nurse Practitioner Practice - An overview of the research supporting the value the nurse practitioner brings to high-quality care.
- Scope of Practice for Nurse Practitioners - An overview of the role, education, accountability, and responsibility of the nurse practitioner
- Standards for Nurse Practitioner Practice in Retail-based Clinics - A discussion of the standards nurse practitioners need to meet in order to make retail-based clinics a viable health care option.
- Standards of Practice for Nurse Practitioners - An overview of AANP-developed Standards of Practice.
- Use of Terms Such as Mid-Level Provider and Physician Extender - Understand why AANP opposes these terms and what other terms should be avoided.