Evidence Based Resource Directory
The Institute of Medicine (2001) Crossing the Quality Chasm report highlights this issue and endorses activities that improve translation of evidence into practice, with a goal that 90% of care will be evidence-based by 2020. The Center for Medicare Services requires Accountable Care Organizations to demonstrate EBP processes and practices. Research has revealed that the primary barriers to providing EBP include a) lack of time, b) lack of knowledge, and c) lack of accessible resources. Along with other healthcare professionals locally and nationally, nurse practitioners (NPs) are confronting these EBP challenges.
- Providing education about the EBP process, identifying electronic EBP resources, and use of Wikis (Web 2.0 technology) have been shown to contribute to improving EBP practices.
There are a number of electronic resources for NPs that provide EBP education and EBP information.
- This “Evidence Based Practice Resource Directory” was created for the members of AANP by the AANP Practice Committee to provide an educational resource on EBP, as well as to provide accessible online EBP Resources. Enhancing EBP begins with an understanding of the basic concepts, principles, and techniques of EBP, as well as its rationale, reasoning, and benefits. This knowledge facilitates provider’s contribution to the process and creates a common foundation from which the process builds. Education resources include creating clinical inquiry, developing PICOT questions (a researchable question that includes Problem, Intervention, Comparison, Outcomes, and Time), and learning literature search and appraisal strategies. The listings provide accessible online EBP resource links.
Acknowledgement for these materials is given to the AANP Practice Committee members:
- Brian Buchner DNP RN ACNP
- Michelle Beauchesne DNSc RN CPNP FAAN FNAP FAANP
- Gretchen Brandon MSN APRN NNP-BC NE-BC
- Susan Conaty-Buck DNP APRN
- Randy Hudspeth PhD (Hons) MBA MS APRN-CNP FRE FAANP
- Michaelene Jansen PhD RN-C FNP-C, GNP-BC FAANP
- Jared Johnson DNP APRN ACNP-BC
- Ruth Kleinpell PhD APRN FAAN FAANP
- George Byron Peraza-Smith DNP, GNP-BC, CNE
- Oralea A. Pittman, DNP, FNP-BC, FAANP
- Allen Prettyman PhD FNP-BC