Position Statements & Papers
Find out where AANP stands on the issues important to NPs. From prescriptive privilege to the value NPs bring to primary care, the following position statements and papers reflect The Voice of the Nurse Practitioner®.
Use the links below to view and download individual copies of AANP position statements and papers.
- - Find out why head-to-head comparison of educational models is not the appropriate measure of clinical success or patient safety, and how NPs measure up.
- - Features guidelines, tips and tools for successful negotiations.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Discussion Paper - Learn about the AANP's position on the shift in the academic preparation of nurses in advanced practice.
- Nurse Practitioner Cost-Effectiveness - An introduction to the body of evidence supporting NPs as cost-effective providers of high-quality care.
- Nurse Practitioner Curriculum - Learn why a formal graduate education is important to a nurse practitioner practice.
- Nurse Practitioners and Team Based Care - AANP supports the implementation of the Institute of Medicine's concept of team based care.
- Nurse Practitioners in Primary Care - A look at why nurse practitioners are vital to primary care, and the role they play in making high-quality, patient-centered health care available to the broadest possible range of consumers.
- Nurse Practitioner Prescriptive Privilege - Find out why the AANP advocates that nurse practitioners have unlimited prescriptive authority in their scope of practice.
- Quality of Nurse Practitioner Practice - An overview of the research supporting the value the nurse practitioner brings to high-quality care.
- Scope of Practice for Nurse Practitioners - An overview of the role, education, accountability, and responsibility of the nurse practitioner.
- Standards for Nurse Practitioner Practice in Retail-based Clinics - A discussion of the standards nurse practitioners need to meet in order to make retail-based clinics a viable health care option.
- Standards of Practice for Nurse Practitioners - An overview of AANP-developed Standards of Practice.
- Use of Terms Such as Mid-Level Provider and Physician Extender - Understand why AANP opposes these terms and what other terms should be avoided.