AANP–developed toolkits are designed to keep NPs informed on important health issues and to assist them in educating their patients. Be sure to check back as new toolkits are being developed.
Heart Matters: Living with Atrial Fibrillation
Heart Matters: Living with Atrial Fibrillation includes educational material created by expert NPs to support your education of patients at-risk or diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. AANP produced this educational toolkit through support from Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. A limited supply of hard copies of the kit, which includes references and "talking point" for clinicians is available for order, using the online order form below. Virtual copies of the patient flipchart and tearsheet handout are available for download.
- HEART MATTERS (Hard Copy) – Complete the online order form to receive a hard-copy of this educational flipchart with provider notes on the back of each page and an accompanying "tearsheet" handout.
- HEART MATTERS (PDF)- The online version of the atrial fibrillation flipchart is available for download. Only the "patient view" version is included.
- HEART MATTERS TEARSHEET (PDF) – This two-paged handout is used to reinforce key messages from the flipchart and includes space for individualized notes.
Safety Matters: Pediatric Medication Safety
Safety Matters: Pediatric Medication Safety includes educational material created to support education of pediatric patients' parents and caregivers on medication safety. Young children are at great risk for medication errors. It is critical for parents and other caregivers to understand how to administer medications to young children safely and to secure medications. AANP, in partnership with the National Association of Pediatric NPs (NAPNAP), provides this educational flipchart, supported by an educational grant from McNeil Consumer Healthcare. Copies of the flipcharts and accompanying tearsheets are available by order and electronic copies may be downloaded.
- SAFETY MATTERS (Hard Copy) - Complete the online order form to receive a hard-copy of this educational flipchart with provider notes on the back of each page and an accompanying "tearsheet" handout.
- SAFETY MATTERS (PDF) - The online version of the pediatric medication safety document is available for download. Only the "patient view" is included in this version.
- SAFETY MATTERS TEARSHEET (PDF) - This two-page handout is used to reinforce key messages from the flipchart. It includes space for individualized notes.
HCV PACT: Patient Advocacy Checklist for Hepatitis CE Virus Management
AANP created this handbook in partnership with the AAPA as a guideline for clinicians who are caring for patients with hepatitis C and to support a patient-centered approach to therapy. This booklet is downloadable.
Pathway to Better Health
AANP's Pathway to Better Health includes educational material created to support instilling health promotion and disease prevention strategies during potentially fragmented and episodic adult visits.To support your efforts in educating patients about leading health risks and actions they can take to improve their health now and for the future, AANP provides this educational flipchart, supported by an independent grant from Merck.
PATHWAY TO BETTER HEALTH (PDF) - The online version of the teen health document is available for download. Only the "patient view" is included in this version.
PATHWAY TO BETTER HEALTH TEARSHEET (PDF) - This two-pages handout is used to reinforce key messages from the flipchart. It includes space for individualized notes and includes a pocket-sized personal health record form.
Additional Pathway to Better Health content will be added over time. Please visit the site frequently for updates.
A Roadmap for Managing Your Triglycerides and Protecting Your Heart
A Roadmap for Managing Your Triglycerides and Protecting Your Heart is an electronic “flipchart” designed to assist NPs and other providers in educating patients. The resource can be used online or downloaded to a PC or portable tablet.
The AANP Fibromyalgia toolkit is an electronic resource designed to provide information on the topic of fibromyalgia for health-care providers and patients/consumers. In addition to the resources developed specifically for this resource, many links are provided to external resources. A variety of similar resources are identified. Please choose carefully and select those resources that best meet your needs.
AANP Fibromyalgia Resources
The following resources were developed by a NP advisory group convened by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) with funding from Pfizer.
External Fibromyalgia Resources
The following websites include information for patients with fibromyalgia and health-care providers. Inclusion of links does not imply AANP endorsement.
- Fibromyalgia Information Foundation
- National Fibromyalgia Association
- Fibromyalgia Network
Fibromyalgia General Information Sheets/Articles
- Fibromyalgia Fact Sheet from the American College of Rheumatology
- Fibromyalgia from the Mayo Clinic
- Questions & Answers about Fibromyalgia from the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
- Fibromyalgia from Revolution Health
- Fibromyalgia from the Arthritis Foundation
- Fibromyalgia Guide from WebMD
- Fibromyalgia from EMedicine Health
- Patient Information: Fibromyalgia from UpToDate
von Willebrand Disease
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate that 1 to 2% of Americans are affected by von Willebrand Disease (VWD), the most common hereditary bleeding disorder. For women, it takes an average of 16 years to receive a diagnosis. The following tools for health-care providers and patients help to increase awareness of the signs and symptoms of VWD.
Tools for Health-care Providers and Patients
The AANP von Willebrand Disease Virtual Toolkit is an electronic resource designed to provide information on the topic of von Willebrand Disease for health-care providers and patients/consumers. In addition to the resources developed specifically for this resource, many links are provided to external resources. Please choose carefully and select those resources that best meet your needs.
AANP von Willebrand Disease Resources
The following resources were developed by an NP advisory group convened by AANP with funding from CSL Behring.
- Von Willebrand Disease Pamphlet for HCPs (PDF) - Includes an overview of the signs and symptoms, types/severity, and hereditary patterns of the condition, and the basic guidelines for diagnosing and managing VWD.
- Von Willebrand Screening Questions (PDF) - A patient questionnaire for use when discussing a patient's symptoms or health history.
- Von Willebrand Disease Pamphlet for Patients/Consumers (PDF) - A tri-fold educational brochure for symptomatic/undiagnosed young women and their parents.
- Von Willebrand Disease Fact Sheet (PDF)
Stay Updated! If you would like to receive email notifications when the AANP VWD resources have been edited or updated, click here to submit your name and email address to AANP. For use of VWD updates only.
External von Willebrand Disease Resources
The following websites include information for patients with VWD and health-care providers. Inclusion of links does not imply AANP endorsement.
Roadmap to Teen Health: Adolescent Health Promotion
AANP's Roadmap to Teen Health includes educational material created to support instilling health promotion and disease prevention strategies during potentially fragmented and episodic adolescent visits. Most primary care providers regularly adolescents for whom a variety of health promotion strategies should be considered. Adolescents are a generally healthy but at-risk group and they typically access health care for acute, episodic complaints, rather than scheduled wellness exams common to younger children. Unhealthy behaviors and limited achievement of recommended preventive measures in adolescence have significant impact on later adult health status. According to the AAP Committee on Adolescence (2009), while 85% of adolescents have a regular source of health care, few are receiving the recommended counseling, screening and prevention strategies.
A "virtual flipchart" is currently available, as well as a related powerpoint presentation. Please visit the site frequently for updates. The Roadmap to Teen Health flipchart was supported by an educational grant from Merck.
A Breath of Fresh Air: Living with COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
AANP's Living with COPD material includes content to support counseling of patients diagnosed with or at risk for COPD. COPD has recently ranked as the third leading cause of death in the U.S. As a preventable and treatable disease, it is critical that health-care providers have access to easy-to-use and understandable patient educational material. This resource was created by clinical experts and is designed to be used in direct patient teaching. A "virtual flipchart" is available. This version can be downloaded and used on a computer or portable device, or printed locally. The development of this flipchart was funded by Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Preceptors provide the clinical teaching opportunities that are critical to NP preparation. AANP is committed to offering resources to support their contributions. In addition to these resources, the CE Center includes a program on precepting NP students.